Northeast Ohio Wrong Side Surgical Lawyer
Wrong site surgery cases are uncommon; however, they do occur. Wrong site surgery cases usually involve operating on the wrong side of the body. For example, operating on the right arm or leg rather than the left. Wrong site surgery matters always results in the need for further surgical procedures, including the initial procedure that was supposed to be completed and further procedures to remedy any harm done at the wrong site. In some circumstances, operating at the wrong site can result in wrongful death.
Typical wrong site surgery cases involve:
- Amputating the wrong limb or finger
- Surgery on the wrong patient
- Surgery at the wrong vertebrae
- Surgery on the wrong side of the body
- Removal of the wrong organ
Clearly, wrong site surgery is preventable based upon the implementation and compliance with proper procedure and protocol.
Wrong side surgery cases are generally caused by:
- Emergency situations
- Time constraints
- Unique patients
- Failure to follow or have proper policies in place
- Failure to assess a patient
- Improper planning prior to surgery
- Failing to properly read an X-ray or reading it backwards
- Failure to mark the surgical site prior to surgery
- Failure to obtain informed consent
- Failure to communicate
- Multiple surgeons involved in the same procedure
Surgery at the wrong site can result in permanent physical harm and emotional distress. Preparing oneself mentally for one procedure is hard enough, let alone multiple procedures based upon surgical error.
If you or a loved one has been harmed due to a surgical procedure at the wrong site please contact one of our experienced Cleveland medical malpractice lawyers today.