Northeast Ohio Birthing Injury Lawyer
An injury to a child during birth can be one of the most devastating events a family can endure. Brain injuries during birth can lead to permanent disabilities or even death. Life time disabilities can require millions of dollars of medical costs over the life of the child.
Brain injuries at birth are usually caused by one of the following circumstances:
- Anoxia (lack of oxygen) / Anoxic brain injury: can occur due to improper medications, leaving the child in the birth canal for an excessive period of time or due to the umbilical cord being wrapped around the baby's neck
- Trauma to the head: can occur from the misuse of delivery instruments such as vacuum extractors or forceps
- Maternal infection: can occur due to the infant's response to an infection of the mother
Proper medical care can prevent many brain injuries at birth.
However, certain medical errors can lead to brain injury during birth, such as:
- Failure to monitor the child's vitals and recognize fetal distress
- Prescribing the wrong medication
- Failure to diagnose medical conditions in the mother
- Failure to perform a c-section
- Failure to provide oxygen to a baby
- The improper usage of delivery tools
- Failure to recognize infection in the child
Children that suffer a brain injury during child birth can have a number of debilitating problems including degraded motor skills, cerebral palsy, mental retardation and other miscellaneous behavioral issues.
Early detection and treatment is the key to mitigating the risk of brain injury. These injuries can result in a lifetime of disability and required care.
If you suspect that your child's brain injury was due to medical error during his or her birth please contact one of our knowledgeable Cleveland birth injury attorneys today. You may be entitled to monetary recovery to assist you with the debilitating financial constraints such injuries can place upon families.
Recoverable damages in Ohio birth brain injury cases can include:
- Past and future medical bills
- Permanent disability
- Lost Earnings of the parents
- Long term care
- Special equipment for care
- Pain and suffering
Our experienced lawyers will assist you to obtain just compensation so that you can provide proper medical care for your child. Contact a Cleveland birth brain injury lawyer today.